Portumna Golf Club
The beginnings of golf in this area date back to 1913 when Portumna Golf Club was formed. The first course was laid out on land rented from farming families of Lynchs, powers, Glynns, Scullys, Cullens, Callagys, Porters, and Walshs in the townland of Claggernagh, directly across the road from the entrance to the present course. Members kept their horses in stables and left their traps outside a house owned by John Kelly. His sister provided tea for these pioneering members who rented a room from this family to act as a locker room before a clubhouse was erected. John Wallace, who lived locally was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the course. Substantial timber stiles with hand rails gave access from one field to another. Subsequently, a clubhouse was erected just inside the entrance to the present course. This Clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1921 and a Mr James O Brien then provided a house on his land as a replacement clubhouse. This house had previously been used as a schoolhouse for the children of Protestant planters in the area.
One of the prime movers in the foundation of the Golf Club was TR Suggit, an engineer who had worked on the construction of the new Portumna bridge. The first secretary was Mr Harrison who was then District Inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary in Portumna and later became Commissioner of the Royal Ulster Constabulary. Other prominent founder members were Col. Coates, a retired army doctor who lived in Palmerston House at that time; Michael Kennedy B.E. who later became County Surveyor for Galway; Fr. Duignan who later became Bishop of Clonfert; Patrick Flanagan, manager of the Hibernian Bank in Portumna; George R. Cashel, (who lived in Wilmount at the time) Clerk of the Portumna Petty Sessions; Fr. Spellman, P.P.; James J Kearns, Solicitor; John Taylor, Auctioneer; De.N.T O’Kelly and business man, Daniel Lynch.
Tel: +353 90 974 1059